Sunday 15 April 2012

Blue Plaque Spotting No. 6: Tony Hancock.

I was out on a route march, as part of my back rehabilitation programme, striding, well, more lurching toward the Bognor Regis suburb of Aldwick.
On passing the Royal Norfolk Hotel I noticed this plaque:
The plaque really is blue but, after a random shake of Hipstarmatic, I got this.
I've walked past the Royal Norfolk Hotel many, many times before yet not spotted it which worried me a bit because I'm usually quite observant.
Having done a little bit of research it seems that the plaque only appeared late last year.
Tony Hancock was in Bognor during the filming of The Punch and Judy Man.
I can't say I'm a Hancock fan but, although I've seen the film a long, long time ago, I'm tempted to give it another viewing just to see what Bognor Regis looked like in those days.

4 comments:

Herr Döktor said...

Oh yes, give it a go: the Bognor sea front on show is just on the very edge of my memory, and it's a blimmin' sight nicer than the Regis Centre that replaced it!

Wax works, zoo, fortune teller ("a decendent of Gypsy Rose Lee" no less!) all gone now...

OutaSpaceMan said...

Gypsy Rose Lee's descendant is still working the seafront.

Herr Döktor said...

She used to be on the corner of the crazy golf, opposite the pier, she was there when I was a very small thing; bet she never saw that she'd still be there now!

OutaSpaceMan said...

Follow this link to a picture I took last year:
http://flic.kr/p/bZh7jf