Sunday 5 February 2012

HMV 102 Portable Gramophone.

I uploaded a brief film of my HMV 102 sometime ago.
It has a No. 5 sound box and still has it's record tray (a valuable item in itself).
It worked very well at the time but has progressively "stiffened up" to the point where it, all but, ceased working.

The problem that afflicts these type of gramophones is usually the grease turning in to glue over the years.
Bear in mind that my 102 was manufactured sometime in the early 1930's it's understandable that it probably needs a bit of a going over.
I decided to have serviced and took it along to DecoGraphic in Arundel.
So, £40 for a service and £25 for a new spring and my 102 is better than ever:
The tune spinning on the deck is Columbia disc DB 1756 "Liberty Bell" (Sousa- arr. J. Ord Hume) Played by the Regimental Band of H.M. Grenadier Guards conducted by Lt. Col. George Miller.
(Oh, alright Philistine, it's the Monty Python theme.)
You wouldn't believe the volume this machine produces!
I'm using Columbia Chromium Long Playing Needles which, the package informs me, can be used to play up to 60 sides before needing replacement.
(I'm sure there are plenty of experts out there who'll tell me different.)

Over the next few days I'm going to wade through my collection of 78's whist pointing my big condenser microphone at the 102.
Something to do with posterity.

0 comments: