Wednesday 8 February 2012

A Thought Occurs.

There I am willfully adding sale items to the world-wide car-boot sale that is eBay, when it suddenly dawned on me that I may have caused myself a bit of a problem.
When all the auctions end there's potentially 22 items to pack and post all at once.
That'll keep me busy.

Today was going to be another selling day but I've stepped back just to give myself a bit of breathing space.
Whilst sorting more sale items out I found my Mamod steam engine.
I thought I'd steam it up one last time:
With the exception of my baritone uke and my bicycles, I'm unsentimental about material possessions. 
There's a passage in Thus Spoke Zarathustra that sums the situation for me:

"They played by the sea - then came there a wave and swept their playthings into the deep: and now do they cry.  But the same wave shall bring them new playthings, and spread before them new speckled shells!  Thus will they be comforted; and like them shall you also, my friends, have your comforting - and new speckled shells!     Thus spoke Zarathustra."

With tears in my eyes I'm going down to the beach to look for a new steam engine. 

0 comments: