Wednesday 22 February 2012

Julian Date. Poet

Whilst doing the rounds of my favourite blogs I was introduced to the poetry of Julian Date by Mr. Webster at The Pavilion of Innocent Pastimes.
(A blog any right-thinking person should visit on a regular basis if only to encourage Mr. Webster to post more often.)

Here are Mr. Date's musings on the Skylark:

THE SKYLARK

As I wandered through our park,
I chanced upon a lone skylark.
It flew straight up into the sky
(Though I have no notion why),
And burst into a sombre song,
Which seemed to go on far too long.

Boy, that hits the nail on the head and no mistake.

2 comments:

Banished To A Pompous Land said...

I love ornithogical verse.

In the words of John Lillison Englands finest one armed poet

'O pointy birds, o pointy pointy,
Anoint my head, anointy nointy.'

The City Folk Club said...

I'm still working on fishy poems, but I can't beat this one:

"The Herring is a lucky fish
From all disease inured.
Should he be ill when caught at sea;
Immediately - he's cured!"
(Milligan, S.,1918-2002)

I really like the gannet poem.