Wednesday 1 February 2012

Frustrating. (An Idiot Writes)


A long, long time ago (at 15:03 on the 26/03/08) I bought an ASUS Eee PC 2G Surf Net-Book (remember that concept?).
I mistakenly thought that the Net-Book idea would be the way forward for mobile internet access.
To be fair my thinking was correct, for about two months.
When it became obvious to me that Net-Books weren't the way forward I started 'fiddling' about with the Eee.
I installed several Ubuntu variant operating systems and finally settled on Eeebuntu Base.
I stripped the O/S of everything it didn't seem to need and ended up with a calculator, text editor, VLC media player, Opera browser and nothing much else.
I quickly became bored with it and packed it away.

Last year I re-discoved the computer in a draw in the attic and began to fiddle about with it a bit more.
Now, I'm not exactly sure what I did but the web-browser stopped working.
I think I may have deleted something important to it's operation from the system.
I put it away again.

Fast forward to today.
Mystic Rog, who be afeared o'new technology, casually mentioned he might have to consider getting a computer.
I remembered the Eee PC in the draw in the attic and decided to try and get it working again as it would be perfect for Rog's requirements.

I've been sat in front of it for the last 5 hours and have totally failed to install a new browser thus rendering it more or less useless.
I could list all the options I've considered for making it work but the only one that truly appeals to me at the moment is opening the door of our multi-fuel burner and throwing it into the flames.

I may leave the door of the burner open and throw my iPod Touch in after it.
Why?
Having said I'm not a 'gamer' I decided I'd better have a coherent reason to back up my assertion.
I down-loaded the game Angry Birds.
It's driven me to the edge of a break-down yet I can't stop playing it.

ARRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!

6 comments:

Wartime Housewife said...

I feel your pain. It must be a day for breakdowns.

Glyn said...

The Debian EEE PC project did a great job of adapting the standard Debian distribution to the Asus 701 hardware. I've had Debian Stable running on my 4G reliably for four years now, without me having to play with anything. Skype goes, everything goes.

I took notes when I set it up, which I can send you if you like. I can't completely promise it wouldn't be frustrating though.

Osmosis is a really relaxing game.

Vince said...

I've been in reformat hell many-a-time so I can fully empathise with you OSM, it's as frustrating as a frustrating thing...and so is Angry Birds! You're right though there is something about it that makes you want to have "just one more go". It the digital equivalent of Starmix :-)

OutaSpaceMan said...

I think my major set-back is being a Mac-Fanboy.
I can't run syslinux and would have to understand a long and complicated process using a Sun product.
I've tried installing various browsers but end up getting 404 reports for them.

Right now if someone told me to try putting a cow pat on my head whilst standing in a bucket of fish heads I give it a go.

Please fire your instructions over Mr. Webster I'll give it a go.

Mention Starmix, HobNobs or heroin to me and I start to rattle.

Vince said...

Ooh Hobnobs...
* Sorry OSM, hehe!!

Glyn said...

Okay, I'll polish them up, insert "put a cow pat on your head" somewhere, and send them over tomorrow.