Saturday 11 February 2012

A Problem of Mis-Attribution.

The eBay sales are going well (ish).
22 items, 9 bids and many watchers.
I've had two enquiries from Japan about the Smiths Pocket Watch:
Big in Japan
I've been asked if I'd consider shipping it over to Japan but, to be honest, I find the arrangements for postage mind-numbingly complex and had to refuse.

The German Day/Date/Month permanent desk calendar has caused a bit of confusion:

I received this communication from 35karina:
Dear outaspaceman.
Love it but it's not German. The German for january is 'Januar'. Must be some Scandinavian language. I will still bid on it.
Best
Karina
I replied:
Dear 35karina,
Oh no!
For three years I'd assumed I knew what the date was in Germany, now I find out it's some un-identified Scandinavian county.

I'm bereft!

OSM
The message came back:
Dear Outaspaceman,
After sending this message I did a search on the net and it seems 'Jaenner' is an old version of January in Austrian or Swiss german! I never knew that! I am from Berlin and as far as am concerned Austrians don't speak German :) they really don't.
Apologies, this is probably more than you ever wanted to know about this.
Best wishes and I will shut up now

Karina
Now then, this raises a question regarding another item I'm selling (no bids, no watchers BTW):
I think these may be 'smutty'.
The glasses read:
Left: "Gut' Nacht ibr lieben Sorgen, I. m. a A. bis morgen.
Right: "Feh hang' ja so an Sir!"

I have no idea what any of that means but I sort of get the drift, if you know what I mean ;-)

1 comments:

Glyn said...

a) I need to know if the pocket watch contains real radium,

b) the glass on the right is weirding me out a little.