Thursday 8 March 2012

Scratching The Itch.

What with unemployment, recording, rehearsals, gigs, eBay and a thousand and one other things, I realised I hadn't 'made' anything in recent months.
Whist rootling about in the attic for more eBay fodder, I came across an old cigar box that I can't remember what I'd planned to do with.
Unsurprisingly, on opening the box, I found it was full of arms and legs.
Brace and bit and 4 holes later:
It's a start I suppose.

During the drilling phase I found myself wondering if I could, through studio wizardry, make a kazoo sound like a Crum Horn.
I recorded a basic beat, by tapping lightly on an old dynamic microphone, did a bit of kazoo buzzing then topped it off with a bit of penny-whistle noodling and dropped the whole lot in a vat of reverb:

Which reminded me of a picture I'd taken at the Science Museum:
Click picture to see the source
 I have the sneaking suspicion I may be developing a touch of 'cabin-fever'.

5 comments:

Frank Key said...

Pansy Cradledew listened to this piece and felt moved to prance and cavort around the room gleefully.

La Jolie Guirlande said...

Hope you were wearing velvet doublet and hose...along with some creative headgear when making such marvellous sounds...it just wouldn't go with the saucy sailor suit.

iffi said...

The long-awaited recording of the duet by Mr Corncrake and Ms Linnet!

The recording was slightly marred by a mendicant with a (Huberman's?) hammer hammering away at anything she sees fit to hammer at.

OutaSpaceMan said...

I'd forgotten about the picture, I now know to be of Corncrake & Linnet, which is just a small background detail of a medieval ploughing diorama in the Science Museum:
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects/agricultural_engineering/1944-40.aspx

I was amused by what looked like the prelude to a bonce-bashing in.

saradwyn3 said...

This is full of awesomeness; )