Tuesday 6 March 2012

And Every Now And Again There's A Good Day.

Today was quite exciting, sadly I can't actually say why but, during it's course, I was able to stare long and hard at this painting by Canaletto:
Image robbed from Wikipedia
This painting has a companion piece that I preferred but, for the life of me,  can't locate an image of on the inter web.

I also got to stare intently at more original Hogarth drawings than I could take in at one go. Including this one:
Next week I'll be able to study the Hogarth drawings in even greater detail as I'll be spending around 17 hours (over 2 days) stood in front of them.

Back home and I've got a rehearsal with the band for tomorrow night at the Queens Head pub in Barnes Green.
Odd thing about rehearsals with BeHeld, the sun always begins to shine during the proceedings.
Which is encouraging.

To top a good day off, Linda made dumplings.
Result.

3 comments:

The City Folk Club said...

In my youth I gazed at Canaletto's 'Regatta on the Grand Canal' which hung in The National Gallery.
I bought a postcard.
Then I wrote an essay for my O-Level English exam about that painting.
I achieved an A in English, but I failed in Art!

Banished To A Pompous Land said...

My favourtite place to sit with paintings was the Rothko room in the old Tate. The new Rothko space at Tate Modern, least last time I was there while is admittedly a while now, just didnt have the intimacy.
A small dim room, 4 huge canvasses and a bench. I sat for many hours in there, once, memorably, while the most ferocious lightening storm clashed above its skylight.

Over this side of the pond I really like the Fogg Musuem at Harvard which has some great American 20th century pictures and lets you get closer to a Jackson Pollock than Tate or Tate Modern ever would!

Banished To A Pompous Land said...

Oh and the Busch-Reisinger at Harvard has German Expressionists the Tate would kill for.