Saturday 24 March 2012

The Cycle-Motor Project: A Sleepless Night, An About Face, Several Frustrations and An Ending.

My re-think of the bike caused more problems than I could sensibly fix.
The final straw was exhaust clearance or, the lack of it.
No matter how I adjusted the engine position either the pedal fouled on the exhaust pipe or the exhaust pipe fouled the bottom bracket shell.

A 4am this morning I was still wide awake trying to imagineer a solution but couldn't do it.
By 06:30am I came to the inevitable conclusion that the re-think was a failure and the only alternative was to use the Black Tractor frame.

I started work on the bike at 13:00 and in half an hour had this:
I rode it around for a while and it's actually a very nice, comfortable and relaxed bike.
I got the engine mounted:
I reckoned on about another hour before a test ride but failed to take one thing into consideration:
Linda had just come off the phone having arranged to collect a new washing machine and guess who she's decided is going to do the heavy lifting?

Two hours later, new washing machine fitted and £20 lighter after buying a heavy-duty chain-cracker, I'm back to work.
The new chain-cracker turns out to be to heavy-duty for the 415 chain but I persevere and finally assemble the chain only to discover the split-link.
I nearly cracked.
Where did that split-link hide when I carefully examined the chain to make sure it didn't have one the other day?
Several deep breathing exercises later I've regained my composure and return to the task in hand.
Another hour later and I have created this:
It's vastly improved from last weeks version of this build.
New tyres, better handlebars and several issues that only manifested themselves during the re-build have been dealt with.
The rear horizontal dropouts are a safer option for a motored-bicycle as the wheel can't be pulled out of the frame.
The wheel-base of this frame is much longer than the 'Dobson's' making the ride more stable and comfortable.
I've still got to deal with the CDI mounting and I'm on the hunt for a suitable metal box to house it in.
In a perfect world I'd fit the cylindrical fuel tank and some better handlebar grips but I'm in no hurry to do anything else at the moment.

So, does it work?
Well, yes it does.
Once it gets warmed up it runs a lot better than the film suggests.
I'm running it on a 16:1 fuel/oil mix at the moment. Once I get to the 20-25:1 mix it should run even better.

That's it, The Cycle-Motor Project is at an end.
I will, in time, compile the whole project and publish it on it's own page entitled "WARNING!! On no account read this page!"

I'm tired, I'm going to bed.

4 comments:

Oldfool said...

Frustrations like that caused me to turn to drugs, alcohol and dissolution.
Infernal noisy,smelly machines. The devils own work.

OutaSpaceMan said...

Well, the devil certainly made work for my idle hands an' no mistake!

It's been a bit of a hollow victory to be honest.
When I was riding the bicycle around, prior to fitting the engine, I was soooooo tempted to leave it just as it was.
I'm still a pure cyclist at heart.
Maybe my redemption lies in a return to drugs, alcohol and dissolution?
You were right about the handlebars, maybe you're right about that as well.

Colin said...

IRO your penultimate para:
I recently discovered that when somebody writes "Do not read/look at ...": what's the first thing that people do?
That subtle ploy is guaranteed to increase your readership several-fold!

Anonymous said...

"It's a go-er!"

I love the way Linda laughs when the exhaust makes the raspberry noise during starting.

That thing looks like it really shifts. Be careful! You've basically built yourself a motorcycle right there!