Wednesday 26 September 2012

A Little Learning Is A Dangerous Thing. (Updated)

So,  let's start with a basic search on the term "inflamed optic nerve".
From this basic search I find that the appropriate term for my condition is "Optic Neuritis".

What caused it?
It's generally agreed that the cause is unknown.

What's actually happening then?  
My immune system is attacking the myelin sheath on my optic nerve.

Now what?
I have an appointment, well, not so much an appointment as an invitation to attend a clinic at St. Richard's Hospital in Chichester tomorrow (Thursday).

What do you expect should you chose to attend the "appointment"?
More examination, and the recommendation of a course of intravenous steroids.
(Further reading suggests that the condition will clear, but the estimated periods vary considerably,
within anything from 2 weeks to 8 months).

So, what's the problem?
Every link I've followed concerning "Optic Neuritis" mentions, usually within the first paragraph, Multiple Sclerosis.

So, what have you decided to do about this "situation"?
I'm not keen on any kind of steroid treatment if, with time, the condition will clear itself unaided.
The aspect of this condition that now concerns me is the link with MS.

I'm going to sleep on it.

Update.

Despite the fact I'm visually impaired I've just driven down to the local inconvenience store to get some rice for our evening meal (I forgot to tell Linda we'd run out) and I remembered something that may, or may not, be significant.

Last year my left buttock went 'numb' from my hip down to about half way down my leg.
I went to the doctors and the diagnosis was that I had a "trapped nerve".
I was told to come back in two weeks if it showed no improvement.
It, sort of, improved so I saw no reason to return to the doctors.

Early this year both my legs went numb.
I decided not to go the the doctors because I was sure it would result in the diagnosis of a "trapped nerve".
After about 8-10 weeks it cleared up.

So,  2+2=5 ?

5 comments:

Le Sanglier said...

Sleeping is a reasonable approach to digesting startling developments and worries. I am hoping for your continued health and well being.

saradwyn3 said...

Not cool!
I'd wait to worry til you hear more
(because that sort of advice is so easy to heed)
But benumbed buttocks are probably much more likely a result of bicycle seat maladjustment...
Hope all is well.
Perhaps an eyepatch is in your future, even if not medically necessary?
You're just rugged enough to carry it off; )

OutaSpaceMan said...

Thanks chums!
I'm hoping it won't be long before I can look back and laugh at my ill informed misgivings.
Now, if only I could get to sleep.

Hmmmm, eyepatch.

Glyn said...

Definitely go to that clinic.

Glyn said...

Definitely go to that clinic.