Friday 15 June 2012

My Track of the Week: 'When The Yankees Are Gone' Performed by Harry Belafonte and the Islanders.

I first came across this song on an old L.P. I found in a bin. 
Then I lost the album.
Trying to find the song again has taken me about six years because I've been searching for the wrong title.
On the album I had the song was entitled 'Jean & Dinah' (same as the Mighty Sparrow original).
Anyway, all's well that ends well and the song's just as good as I remember it.

So, what's it about?
'This Calypso comments on the large scale prostitution that the (American) bases once supported and the desperation of these prostitutes following the closure of several American Military Bases in Trinidad during the post war period.'

'scuse me while I shake a tail-feather baby...

0 comments: