Wednesday 29 June 2011

Sundry Mortifications No.18 : Taking Things To Bits.

One of my enduring secret pleasures is 'taking things to bits'.
During my childhood my propensity for this pastime lead to me never receiving  any gift that was either complicated or expensive as 'he'll only take it to bits'.
(Oh, except for 'Lego' of course.)
Although this observation was true it neglected another aspect of my obsession with dismantling objects that of re-assembling them to my taste.

Last night, as I wandered the benighted streets of Bognor Regis, I found this in a skip:

It's a Roberts Radio/Cassette.
There's evidence for it's having being submerged in water at some point but it seems to have completely dried out and become home for a multitude of tiny insects.
It contains a full compliment of batteries and is fully functional.
The ariel had been snapped off and a label seems to be missing from the rear.

20 minutes of wilful screwdriver application later and I'd reduced it to this:
Now the difficult bit.
My vague intention is to mount the 'innards' on a piece of plywood and get them to 'work' again.
This may take some time.

Linda asked me if I might not find a jigsaw puzzle more rewarding.
Sometimes I feel she just doesn't understand me at all.

2 comments:

Le Sanglier said...

Your muse on taking things to bits ignited my memory: we had a table in our living room when my kids were little that we called The Fix-It Shop. I would get old radios, VCRs, etc at the dump and my kids would take them down to bits. It was quite exciting, really, all the amazing bits that could come out of things.

OutaSpaceMan said...

Brilliant!
I endorse your Fix-It Shop initiative.