Wednesday 13 January 2010

Cotillion's Album...


I've just put the finishing touches to Cotillion's first album 'Along The Road'...
I swore, many years ago, that I'd never get involved in music production ever again...
I became exasperated by mediocre guitarists with egos the size of planets, singers who hated that sound of their own voices, drummers that couldn't keep time (even against click tracks) and introverted bass guitarists who wanted to do take after take after take after take only to decide that the first take was the best...
All that coupled with what ever 'refreshments' they'd taken to release their 'creativity' and the assumption that their ground-breaking album could be recorded and mixed in four hours you may understand why I turned my back on the whole sorry enterprise...
However...
I've always wanted to have a go at recording a group using just one strategically placed microphone the way it was done in the early days of sound recording...
Cotillion have been together for years and know their material inside out, they know that it's the song that's important and, while not being 'virtuosos', know how to blend their sound in service of the song...
They're a joy to work with...
The album was recorded at their country cottage hideaway with them huddled around the mic in front room and me at the controls in the kitchen. There's been a few overdubs the most significant being a double bass added to 3 of the tracks...
The album is coming out in February and a follow up (a concept album based around Sussex folk songs and poetry) is being put together as I type...
I can't wait to get started...

0 comments: