Saturday 29 August 2009

Adventures In Modern Cycling No. 5: East Beach. Selsey

This ride is essentially a reliability trial for the 'Dobson' which I have decided is a sports/tourer bicycle...
I shall dress appropriately:
  • White Airtex shirt
  • Knee length shorts
  • White ankle socks
  • Cycle shoes
  • Paisley cravat
  • Sensible sunglasses
  • A badge featuring a depiction of Eastbourne's De La Warr Pavilion
  • Canvas 'Pippy' bag
After leaving Bognor Regis I join the Selsey road at the village of Hunston.
This road is one of the most dangerously congested in the area. I knew there was a cycle-way that would take me nearly into Selsey but didn't know where it was so took my life in my hands and braved the main road.
This turned out to be a good (?) move as I spotted another pair of feral shoes:
On reaching Selsey I stopped off at Enticott's Bakery for a well earned snack of bread and butter pudding washed down with coffee:
The poor child working behind the counter in the bakery became a little confused when I asked for the coffee and had to consult her colleague on how it was made.
Awww, bless...
On to East Beach and my goal:
The place where Eric Coates stood when, looking over to Bognor Regis, he was inspired to write 'By The Sleepy Lagoon'...
The ride home was uneventful save for having to adjust the gear cable...
I found the cycle-path (route 88) which made the return journey pleasant...
The bike behaves well but the saddle has to go as it puts me to far forward and there's no more room for adjustment...
Close to home I rode up onto the prom and suddenly realised I was riding 'look, no hands!'
This is a reliable bicycle...

0 comments: