Sunday 9 August 2009

Adventures In Modern Cycling No 3: Goodwood Motor Circuit and Beyond...

First a word about appropriate attire for a bicycle expedition on a day when the barometer says 'set fair'.
I am wearing:
  1. White Airtex Shirt.
  2. Flannels.
  3. Stout Brogues (Brown is acceptable as this is a countryside trip.)
  4. Solar Topee.
Today's destination, the Goodwood Motor Circuit but first a quick stop at the Hotham Park Country Fair where I saw a gang of unruly children harass a big tortoise named Percy.


I bought a couple of interesting tins from local historian Sylvia Endacott's stand.


I could have spent a fortune there but, the road is calling me onward.
Along the Bognor-Chichester cycleway to the outskirts of Chichester (via Oving and Drayton) to...


I had hoped to visit the Vitra Cafe but it was closed.
I had hoped to see some cars hurtling round but a 'Roller Marathon' event was in progress which involved lots of lycra-clad be-wheeled young people coasting around the track to the accompaniment of disco music (I'd assumed, when I arrived it might be a Rolls Royce Track Day). Disappointed I went off to the 'other' cafe (that has something to do with the flying club) and paid £3.40 (!) for a very small mug of coffee and a biscuit style snack.
I'm not complaining, I've learnt a lesson. I should have brought my flask and some of my home-made flap-jack.
Disappointment not withstanding, I did manage to get a picture of my favourite bit of the Goodwood circuit:


How cool is that..?
An elevated shed with a Rolex watch.

Whilst in this area I thought it would be useful ride over to Lavant and investigate the Centrurion Way cycle-path which would take me back to Chichester...
Smart move! There was a cricket match at Lavant..


I stayed for the first innings, which ended at 86 all out.
Got to say the bowler was a bit of a demon.

On to the Centurion Way...

This is the best cycle-path I've been on since I rode the York-Selby cycleway.
Dappled sunlight through tree-lined peace and quiet down into the center of Chichester.


Home for a well-earned cuppa and sausage sandwich in my shed.
Now that's what I call a civilised Sunday afternoon...

0 comments: