Wednesday 27 April 2011

Half Man Half Biscuit: Disappointing Ticket Sales.

Bunch of loveable poppets
It takes a lot of persuading to get me to go any distance to see an entertainment.
It takes even more than a lot to get me to go see a band.
People who know I'm somehow 'involved' in music are always suggesting I go see this or that band, usually local, usually bad, or listen to this new C.D. by fill in blank I've never heard of.
I'm not some kind of misanthrope, really I'm not, it's just that I hear some of the best musicians I'll ever hear every Friday night at the folk club.

The folk club's great.
I don't have to stand in some god-awful public house or club paying through the nose for indifferent beer that comes in a plastic container, not because the management of the club/pub are worried that I might drop and break a real glass, oh, no, it's because they're worried I might use it as a weapon.
And try getting a cup of coffee after 9 p.m. in any of these places.
I don't have to stand in front of an over-driven, inadequate public address system wishing someone would let me turn the middle down because the performances at the folk club are acoustic.
I could go on...

I haven't been to see Half Man Half Biscuit since a gig on St. David's day in Cardiff so I've treated myself to a ticket to their gig in Leicester tomorrow night.
I can't wait.

The only disappointing part is the actual 'ticket'.
No ticket with a tear off stub and the bit I get to keep for my collection of Half Man Half Biscuit tickets.
Just a number texted to my mobile phone.

I'd go on about how wonderful HMHB are but if you don't know I can't explain and I've noticed how people glaze over when I try so I stopped bothering.
If you don't like Half Man Half Biscuit you don't like fill in blank
Suffice to say Half Man Half Biscuit and The Handsome Family are the only two musical acts left on the planet I'll go a long way at great expense to worship at the feet of.

As for the rest of 'em "The music that you constantly play says nothing to me about my life" (Morrissey out of the Smiths)

0 comments: