Tuesday 25 May 2010

A Grand Day Out.

Linda and I paid a visit to Leonardslee gardens on Monday.
It's the last chance to see their displays of Azaleas, Rhododendrons and Wallabies (!)  as the whole estate has been sold to an 'international businessman' who has no intention of opening the gardens to the great unwashed.
I'd assumed Monday would be quiet but the place was heaving with people by the bus load on the same mission as us.
I was dismayed to find that the British public have forgotten how to dress for such an occasion all of them seeming to favour beige shorts and baggy t shirts topped off with ridiculous floppy head gear.
I tried to set an example to this misguided rabble:
Linda let the side down though:
The gardens were a delight for the senses.
Here are some highlights:
The Rockery:
The Bluebell Wood:
The Lake:
The Very Big Stick:
My New Desktop Picture:
We were wandering around the lakeside path when I was approached by a group of elderly women.
They were all wearing white polo shirts, immense white knee-length shorts, white socks and sandals.
They told me they were from California (in America) and wanted to have their picture taken with real English eccentric person.
It took me a while to realise they meant me.

4 comments:

Marrock said...

I don't think you're suitably rumpled enough.

Lacks conviction.

OutaSpaceMan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colin said...

Access to Leonardslee is a sad loss to the general public.
I propose to mount a protest.
I recommend that the Bluebell Railway constructs a branch-line from Horsted Keynes.
I'll even volunteer to muck out wallabies.

Parkingspaceman said...

"It took me a while to realise they meant me." - well, you always were slow on the uptake, but then you're from Yorkshire.
Could I have an 8x10 of the big stick photo, please?
BTW Florida is not in California (unless there's been a big earthquake recently).