Tuesday 20 July 2010

An Uncomfortable Situation.

I was doing some portable appliance testing for a local charity shop the other day.
I stopped to have a cup of coffee.
I began to get the feeling I was being watched.
Turns out I was being watched.

We stood looking at one another.
I decided to take a picture all the time convinced that the moment I moved the bird would startle and fly away.
I went through the complicated camera selection rigmarole on my mobile phone, aimed and snapped.
The bird just kept staring at me.
I began to feel slightly uncomfortable.
After a while I began to feel intimidated.
By the time I'd managed to tear myself away from the bird's ambiguous penetrating gaze my coffee had gone cold.
I looked back but the bird had gone.
This sort of thing happens to me on a frequent basis.
I blame Hooting Yard.

4 comments:

Parkingspaceman said...

Too much watching of Alfred Hitchcock films/reading Daphne Du Maurier short stories?
Still... those feathered 'friends' might really be out to get us - them and the ants, -or the cockroaches, but they can survive a nuclear blast sixty-five metres away so perhaps they don't need to worry. I'm not even too sure about money spiders, they give me the creeps. And don't get me started on crane flies, uuuuugh! I think I'm going to have the nightmares again... if I can get to sleep, that is... with all those ugly, ugly bed-mites crawling around, under, over... IN!

Parkingspaceman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Oldfool said...

If you offer them food sometimes they go away. Sometimes they call reinforcement. Your only hope then is that they will fight over the food instead of devouring you. It's terrifying.

Herr Döktor said...

I have always been intimidated by birds.

Both the avian and human kind.