Thursday 4 April 2013

The Chichester Uke Jam and Photo Op.

I'm so glad someone actually got round to starting a uke jam within striking distance of my domicile.
I was beginning to think I might have to organise one myself.
Last Monday night saw the second jam at the Chichester Inn (a music pub that wouldn't put BeHeld on).
It's a little tentative, self-conscious even, still good fun though.

I took the Risa electric uke that I'm still trying to decide if I like or not.
I certainly don't like the attention it draws as I have to field the same questions over and over again.
I find it difficult to get the volume right.
The difference between just-a-little-bit-too-quiet and too-bloody-loud is a very small adjustment on the volume control.
I think the resonator is the best instrument for jamming duty.

The jam's song book is a little 'blokey' for my taste, but I'm sure it'll change over time.
Funnily enough I like playing all the cheesy sing-along hits from the 70's of which there aren't currently many in Chi's book.

We played 9 songs then had a quick beer break, during which I fielded questions about the Risa.
Then we were herded into position for a group photo that will eventually appear in the local paper, probably under the heading of 'An Exciting New Tuba Jam!'

0 comments: