Saturday 6 August 2011

My 'Track of the Week": 'Moriarty's Story' (Performed by Spillge Mallingna)

For some days, could be weeks now, I've been listening to re-runs of The Goon Show here: GoonShowRadio
(In-between reading the excellent new book from Hooting Yard Porpoises Rescue Dick Van Dyke of couse.)
I was introduced to the Goon Show by a man called John Sykes and I owe him a debt of gratitude for doing so.
The first long-playing record I paid for with my own money, was a recording of 'The Last Goon Show of All". If you've only seen the T.V. version or heard the radio broadcast version do yourself a favour and listen to the L.P. which doesn't suffer from the same savage editing and has lots of extra bits such as the show's 'warm-up'.
I've just worked out it must have been January 1973 when I bought it because the original show went out in October 1972 and I'd have used either Xmas gift tokens or money given to me on my birthday.
I may not have the memories anymore but I can still follow an audit trail.

Anyway, enough of that kind of rubbish.

I've always held to the consensus that the 'What Time is it Eccles?' dialogue between Bluebottle and Eccles is an example of Milligan's writing at it's best. I'd put this piece, taken from the episode 'Scradge' broadcast 13/03/56, alongside it:

Tragic.

0 comments: