I can't remember when it was that the idea of building a cyclemotor came to me.
Oh, wait a minute, yes I can.
It was when I saw a picture of a Felt 1903 Motored Bicycle similar to this one:
The major difference between the model that made my heart beat faster and Ridley's version being the addition of a copper fuel tank.
My blog was riddled with my various attempts to build my take on the cyclemotor.
All of them, for one unsurmountable problem or another, failed.
(I deleted the posts out of shear embarrassment and frustration.)
The last nail in the coffin was pedal clearance, or lack of it, on the side of the engine.
I put the engine in a box, put the box in the loft where I couldn't see it and forgot about it.
This evening I went into the loft to start doing a winter rebuild on the Black Tractor.
I saw the engine and, just out of curiosity, offered it up to the frame.
Then the solution hit me.
Lift the engine to a point on the down tube where it clears the pedals then extend the rear engine mounting studs till they reached the seat tube:
I'll have to add some nuts and washers at the engine end to make sure the studs don't work loose but this is the answer!
I messed about for around and hour fitting bits and bobs to the frame and voila! Here's a really bad picture of what I ended up with:
So, here I go again building a machine that I won't be able to use as transport on the roads of Great Britain.