Sunday 9 January 2011

As I Walked Out To The Littlehampton Ukulele Jam.

A free Sunday!
Bright, bright sunshine, waves crashing on the beach and about 4 miles of coastal walking between me and the Littlehampton Ukulele Jam.
Walking this route can be, and is, difficult at times because the whole stretch is covered in shingle as a defense against the relentless sea.
I got sick of it in the end and moved off the beach on to a footpath.
Big mistake.
For 'footpath' read 2 foot wide trench filled with mud and dog doings.
It took me 2 hours to get from my seat at home to my seat and cup of coffee at Hunnies Bar in Littlehampton.
I must say Hunnies Bar is great. They deliver my coffee to my table. Now that what I call service!
 
The jam had been running about half an hour and I joined in at the Toots and the Maytals song Monkey Man.
A personal favourite that I'll still dance to in public (because I just can't help myself)
Good selection of common currency songs that everybody knows.
Here's what two of them look like from the chair next to me:


Hmmm, I've just got to get a better quality phone.
The aspect of this type of get together I really enjoy is the willful enthusiasm of it all.
It seems to me that there ain't no tune a group of dedicated uke players can't hammer in to submission.
Usually any distinctive lead break is handled by kazoos and I'm the only person in the room who remembered to bring one.

I decide my walk home will be made at a leisurely pace.
I stopped at the West Beach Cafe for a pastie and a cuppa then back to the beach walk.
There's a problem.
I've got a tune in my head that won't go away.
I plonk myself down on a concrete block, work it out then:

Now all it needs are some words and I can offer it up for BeHeld to flesh out.
I notice that I seem to have a weirdly elongated little finger in this video.

As the sun is setting and I'm nearly home I run into a couple setting off a Chinese lantern.
That'll do nicely thank you.

0 comments: