Wednesday 7 September 2011

More Cheap Instrument Music, Green Door (Davie/Moore).

Not one of my favourite songs if I'm honest.
I chose it because it's quite simple and I wanted The Midnight Car Park Ramblers to attempt a cover version.
I used the chord patten and lyric from Wukulele Song Book 2 and went back to the original Jim Lowe version from 1956 for the base and to wipe any residual Shakin' Stevens influence from my addled memory.


I'm not entirely happy with the outcome.
I did try a 3 part harmony vocal version but it didn't really work so I replaced it with the two-way radio version.
What I do like about it is the uke 'wall of sound' which is a combination of the High D Baritone uke, the Biscuit Tin Broom Pole Slide Bass and a vat of reverb which almost, but not entirely, sounds like orchestral plucked strings.

(BTW, 'contains no synthesisers' as Queen used to like pointing out on their album covers.)

7 comments:

Wartime Housewife said...

You're going to hate me for this, but I can hear this piece as an advertising soundtrack for some really funky clothing company or something of that nature. It has a retro / old vinyl feel to it that would act as a clever counterpoint to something ultra modern.

OutaSpaceMan said...

Oh, bring it on...

please

BTW I save my hatred for wasps.

Ivy Arch said...

I love this, especially the wall of sound with tick-tock galloping and the slamming door sound effect.

Have to say though that it still SCREAMS Shaky, and that is a good thing in my book.

If fact I like it so much, this is my song of the week!

OutaSpaceMan said...

Thank you very much Ivy,

(Ivy dun' arf ken a thing'n twa 'bout ukuleles tha ken.)

TheBooth said...

oh, this is fantastic - and ever so slightly sinister. In a good way.....Where's the egg slicer? x

TheBooth said...

Oh this is fantastic! and ever so slightly sinister. In a good way.....but I don't hear no egg slicer.......

OutaSpaceMan said...

The egg-slicer has been tamed by putting nylon strings on it.
(If you check the latest Whirle Banjolele post it explains all)
"and ever so slightly sinister".
You got it!
(not many people do.)