Tuesday 21 September 2010

Halnaker Windmill Revisited.

Linda and I set out for a drive to nowhere.
Errrr,
That's not strictly true.
We went out to find suitable pieces of wood for winter fuel and the woodlands along the top of the Goodwood Estate are littered with conveniently sized logs i.e. they fit easily into the back of our car.
We figured that because the Goodwood Revival is on at the moment no one would notice a shifty couple of ne'er-do-wells up to no good in the woods.
But, as happens with many of our schemes, we got distracted.

We saw the footpath sign to Halnaker Windmill and decided it would be more fun to walk up and take a look round.
I visited the windmill last year with my bicycle but, to be honest, I prefer the company of Linda.

The path takes us though a tunnel of trees:
We meet some donkeys:
On arriving at the windmill Linda does her "Tales of the Unexpected" dance while I play the jaw-harp:
I placed 7 white plastic cats along one of the beams in the windmill:
Then came the treat.
The Battle of Britain flight (Hurricane, Spitfire & Lancaster Bomber) began to circle around us while they waited to do a fly past over Goodwood. Sadly I got into a bit of a 'tizzy' with my phone's camera and only managed to get a picture of them receding into the distance:
Linda did one last pose for the camera:
Then we put on our disguises and went off to raid the woods for errr, wood.
Now that's what I call a grand day out.

2 comments:

Parkingspaceman said...

When the mill was being renovated, nn years ago, they left the ladder inside which reached to the top platform i.e. roughly the height of the sails' axle. I climbed up, but couldn't bring myself to get off the ladder and onto the platform, in case I couldn't get down again. I snatched a photo to the south-west through the square aperture and eventually returned to terra firma, knees shaking and legs quivering. Interesting, eh? (Forgot to take the white cat models, though. Do you always carry such with you?).

OutaSpaceMan said...

"Forgot to take the white cat models, though. Do you always carry such with you?"

I thought everyone did.