Saturday 1 September 2012

Ukulele Mind Mangle.

My Ukes
My Baritone & Concert Ukuleles
Since abandoning guitar playing and concentrating on ukulele playing its been quite an easy ride because the type of uke I chose to be my main instrument is a baritone uke which is tuned the same way as  a guitar (without the bottom E & A strings).
This means that this chord shape (assuming the instrument is in tune):
Bari D Sop G
'D' or 'G'
is a 'D' on both the guitar and the baritone uke.
On a soprano/concert/tenor uke this chord shape is 'G', a fifth above 'D'.

Fascinating!

Using my concert uke, I'm trying to squeeze a few sing-a-long songs into my memory so, should some one drop a hat, I can bash out some happy-go-lucky entertainment.

It's driving me nuts.

Every time I see 'D' printed on the score I play the 'D' shape I've always played rather than the shape I should be playing.

To be continued....

3 comments:

Oldfool said...

I feel your pain.

Le Sanglier said...

This sort of mind mangle has a pleasant side, don't you think? It feels good as you work out the knots. I play all the recorders and I get mind mangle when playing the bass recorder, which uses a bass clef with F fingerings. I have no trouble switching from soprano/tenor C fingerings to alto/sopranino F fingerings, but switching to bass clef with F fingerings is ouchies for my brain. The perplexing thing is that my brain can effortlessly translate bass clef for my left hand on the harp and piano, but kinks up horribly when trying to decipher it for bass recorder.

OutaSpaceMan said...

Music, as with most aspects of my life, is a bit like struggling to the top of the mountain, sticking my flag in it, only to find a higher more inaccessible peak beyond.

I am a fan of the sound of the bass recorder and the low 'D' penny whistle.

Since posting I've been practicing and am finding playing much easier.
I have a 'thing' about learning songs so I don't have to have to use sheet music.
Once I have the song, more or less, committed to memory playing does get much more simple.

Another mind game I'm trying is thinking of my baritone and concert ukes as completely unrelated to one another which also helps.

The problem is I've just discovered the 'D' tuning for my concert uke which is going to make life even more interesting.