Thursday 13 September 2012

The Handyman's Pocket Book: Preamble.

As my recent life seems to consist of waking up, eating 2 poached eggs on toast, showering, playing the ukulele, riding a bicycle, eating baked beans on toast, sitting in a cloak-room, and then going to bed,  I thought I'd commit another book to the eternal hive-mind of the electric-interweb.
HandyMan013
The Handyman's Pocket Book by Charles H. Heyward was presented to me by the Friends of Summerbridge School in July 1969 on leaving the village junior school to move onto the next pointless phase of my state education.
I was actually presented with two books, the other being The Observer's Book of Flags.
I don't know what happened to that book but I'm glad I managed to hold on to The Handyman's Pocket Book though life's rougher seas.

Originally published in 1958 (that year again!) by Evans Brothers Ltd. this 4th printing is from 1969, the year it was presented to me.

I'd like to say this book has guided and inspired me throughout my life, but it hasn't.

2 comments:

Banished To A Pompous Land said...

And all this before he became a founder member of This Heat in the seventies...that decade again.

Surely there can't be more than one Charles hayward/

OutaSpaceMan said...

He's a handy sort of a fellow an' no mistake!