Tuesday 17 January 2012

More Ignorant Ornithology: The Suicide Pheasant.

On my happy little morning jaunts over the downs around Goodwood, to clean the Oil Well in the Woods, most of my concentration is focused on avoiding that ornithological curiosity the Suicide Pheasant.
Off in the distance I'll spot 2 or 3 of these birds meandering about in the middle of the road, what on earth they find to do there is as much a mystery to me as why chickens choose to cross roads.
As I approach, and the birds notice me, they begin to dart hither and thither, switching back and forth, run one way, double back, run pell mell down the middle of the road anything, in fact, except fly away.

My plan this morning was to have my camera at the ready to film this crazed behaviour and post the resulting footage here for your delight and amusement.
Sadly I was unable to.
I saw at least 10 mangled pheasant corpses on the road, most of them been eaten by crows or, in one case, an enormous buzzard.
So, by way of compensation, here's a picture of the carpet cleaner I use on a daily basis and is much more fun, but not as tasty, as a Suicide Pheasant:
Another of the fabulous toys I'm allowed to play with at work!
On the whole I get the feeling Linda was happier that I brought the carpet cleaner home and used it on our Indian rug rather than me bringing road-kill home for her to pluck and dress.

0 comments: