Tuesday 27 November 2012

A Sundry Mortification, An Artifact, A Log Burner, And A Hair Cut.

A while ago I waffled on about, what I considered to be, the Perfect Drum Machine.
I suggested that there was an iPod/Phone/Pad app called Funk Box that now fit the 'Perfect Drum Machine' bill after I found out I was able to load samples of my personal favourite drum machine (The Soundmaster SR-88) into it.

Ah, the memories come flooding back, pool at my feet, and drown me...

During the writing of that blog posting I happened to tippy-tap-tap 'Soundmaster SR-88 into eBay.
Just looking, mind you, I had absolutely no intention whatsoever, at all, in the slightest of perhaps, considering, maybe actually bidding on that particular item, no way.

It cost me £55 and, when it finally arrived, didn't work.

Stern Voice of Reason: "Let be a lesson you profligate foolish person!"

I was so disappointed.
I put the box of useless electronic folly on the corner of my desk where I could see it and be reminded of how easily desire can lead to unhappiness, especially when buying it on eBay.

And that's how things might have stayed until my old friend (and electronics genius) Mr. Beresford 'Berry' Greene contacted me.
Me: "Berry, mate, please can you make this drum machine work for me?"
Berry: "I'll see what I can do."

Two days later:
IMG_6557
Unassuming Genius Beresford 'Berry' Greene.
HE FIXED IT!!!
The only problem now being, the memory of the sounds this machine made are better than today's stark reality.
I've put the SR-88 back on the corner of my desk once more.
Just to remind me about letting that desire thing get out of hand again.

Linda brought an artefact home:
The Heater
Not Steam Punk.
Linda: "It's an old paraffin fuelled greenhouse heater.  I like it".
Me: "We don't have an old paraffin fuelled greenhouse to heat".
Linda: "I'll just plant things in it instead then".

Our only heating is provided by a multi-fuel burner which we had fitted..
Well, it didn't seem that long ago.
It really needs a service and some internal bits and bobs replacing.
On digging out the info and related paper-work I find out 9 years have gone by.
That hurt my mind.

We didn't have the chimney lined at the time of the original fitting but Linda has decided it would be a good idea to have it done now which means removing the VERY HEAVY CAST IRON BURNER:
IMG_6563
H is for Heavy.
No, no, don't thank me, it's all in a day's work for the modern space-person.

The truth must be told.
I need a hair cut.
IMG_6567
A Hairy Man
Well, I really need several of them cut to be honest.
I have my hairs cut at Jeff's Barbers Shop.
Jeff is 1,000 years old and knows what you mean when you ask for a short back and sides:
IMG_6577
A Smooth Man

0 comments: