Sunday 11 September 2011

Windsor Whirle Ukulele Banjo No. 4 (Another Update)

So, finally, I've managed to establish the correct version of the manufacturer's trade name, the correct description of the instrument (stamped into the head-stock) and the model number.
Since replacing the machine-heads last week most of my musical output has revolved around this uke:
It's been given a deep-clean, WD40 (fish-oil) to restore the ebonized finished parts and a damn good bees wax polish.
The wood actually 'glows' a very pleasing cherry luster.
I tried to improve the hide head using an eraser but it didn't seem to be dirty.

During the next week I'm going to try re-fitting steel strings.
It will get it's first outing at the Uke @ The Duke jam on Tuesday night.

Sitting in the attic, with my kazoo in a holder round my neck, my foot on the pedal of a bass drum and this uke on my lap I could only be happier if I was actually in the garden playing this outfit.

or,
If I was playing this outfit in the garden shed accompanied by a female tap-dancer in fish-nets.

6 comments:

Oldfool said...

What key is the female tap dancer in fishnets in?

OutaSpaceMan said...

That's a CRI if ever I saw one.

kilian said...

I have one too. I'd love to know when it was made. Don't suppose you have any Idea...

OutaSpaceMan said...

Difficult to say exactly but these instruments were mass produced during the 1930s-40s.
Check on the Windsor Whirle.
Mudcat.org have a comprehensive history of the company on their site here:
http://mudcat.org/detail.cfm?messages__Message_ID=1120978

kilian said...

Thanks, yeah I'd read that but I was wondering if you had a bit of personal history about it. Mine was my great grandfathers who bought it in Ireland probably in the late sixties. Good luck,

K

OutaSpaceMan said...

I bought mine from a charity shop in Godalming several years ago.
You've actually reminded me that I have several more experiments to perform the next being fitting steel strings as it would have originally been sold with.