Wednesday 5 October 2011

My Friends and Me. (Updated)

Update:
I may have failed to mine the comic potential of this 'middle-aged man prefers company of plants to human-beings' situation.
Trust me I haven't given up on the human race just yet because, my goodness, if ever the assistance of an Outa-Spaceman was ever needed, that time is, and always has been, now.
(I think I may start wearing a cape.)

I admit to having huge difficulties with interpersonal relationships and am quite happy to amplify the 'buffoon' side of my personality thus throwing up a defence against all and sundry.
It makes my life so much easier and suits my purpose to have people assume I'm a harmless idiot.
This may seem like a terribly sad thing to say but, trust me on this, it's not. I do have some friends that I'm able to be completely myself around and they accept me for exactly what and who I am.

I bought a new friend at the weekend and am preparing to share my life with it for as long as it's willing to hang around.
Errr, yes, it's a Hyacinth.
Well, to be exact, it's a Hyacinth bulb at the moment.
It cost me .75p, it should be purple when it flowers and it's in a bulb glass I bought from a charity shop for .50p.
It's now going to hide in the dark for about 10 weeks while the roots form then will be gradually brought out into the light and should flower sometime early next year.
In the mean-time I spend a great deal of time in conversation with a Cyclamen.
Which, you will notice, is thriving, as are my friends, the Rubber Plant, the Mother-In-Law's Tongue, and the two Cacti that I'm not sure of the names of.
(Probably Bernard and Trevor.)

7 comments:

Oldfool said...

Some of my best friends are avocado trees grown from the seed of its parent which I ate. They hold no grudge.

OutaSpaceMan said...

I've not had much success with avocado seeds though, now you've reminded me, I'm tempted to have another go.

The City Folk Club said...

Now, why does this worry me?
There have been several vegetarian friends in my life, but isn't this taking things a little too far?

Glyn said...

Everyone knows there is at least two other sides to a clown, the wise one, which knows what jokes are made of, and the sinister one. If people are smiling then you're doing okay, and you are talking to people with life and sense in them.

ALSO

I've started raising some chilli plants in an indoor window box. My thinking was that if I'm going to have a tiny crop, it might well be something I don't need much of. They're not doing too well yet. I haven't been telling them my problems, nothing like that! Though I have been studying their buds for grow very closely. Maybe I'm giving them some sort of performance anxiety.

The City Folk Club said...

I notice the update following my earlier comment.
I am marginally reassured.
Come on, OSM ... you know that you are a member of, and surrounded by, the association of really good carnivores!

saradwyn3 said...

i have sufficient sewing skills to attempt to make you a cape if you would like : )

OutaSpaceMan said...

Purple would be nice ;-)