Sunday 12 June 2011

Architecture and Photography and Bognor and Regis.

I can state with complete certainty that I know nothing of any worth about any of the subjects I've typed in the title of this posting.
But, like all self-righteous lunatics, that isn't going to stop me displaying my astonishing ignorance.

As I posted here, I have become interested in photography and spend most of my days wandering around the local area snapping anything I find interesting and many more things I have no interest in at all.
Soil for instance.
The suprising aspect of my newly discovered past time is that I truly don't care what anybody else thinks about the pictures I take which is liberating in a way I can only describe as 'heady'.

Over the past weeks I've noticed I seem to favour taking pictures of buildings and particular types of buildings.
Usually white, usually cube shaped, usually built sometime around the 1930's.
Art Deco I suppose.
There's quite a few of them around Bognor Regis and even more in the larger towns around here.
It strikes me as odd that they still seem to look 'modern', optimistic even, after around 80 years.
Most have had their Crittall Windows replaced with uPVC double glazing units but, having lived in a flat with poorly maintained Crittall Windows, I feel the owners probably did the right thing even though it removes one of the key features of the style.
Art Deco House Felpham
Of course I've had to lay off photographing the local examples.
I might start making the owners anxious when they notice me outside taking pictures again so last week I turned my attention Bognor Regis's town centre.

As with most towns and cities the interesting bits aren't at street level, the real character is to be found from the first floor up.
Suddenly the town stops being a boring identikit shopping opportunity and begins to reveal it's history and, dare I say it, beauty.
There are some astonishing flights of fancy around Bognor.
Delicate cast-iron balconies, enamel work and leaded canopies lots of different styles from lots different eras clashing and higgledy-piggledy.
Bognor Regis, along with most towns, has lost many interesting buildings, I know, I've seen pictures of them in the local museum (don't get me started on what I like to do to the philistines who, in 1994, removed the art deco  Southdowns bus station from the face of the earth, bastards!) but I'm not obsessed with the past just interested in it.
The area around Queensway was re-developed, I'm guessing here, around the 1970's in the brutal style of the time.  I'm not using 'brutal' in a pejorative sense  just as a way of describing that distinct urban concrete, pebble dash and glass way of building that was fashionable at that time.
O.K. it's bleak and showing signs of it's age but what strikes me is how the whole area feels 'unified'.  It doesn't look like the work of a committee. It looks like the vision of one man (and it would have been a man).
Another aspect of this area that dawned on me was, with all the flats built into it, it's probably the most densely populated area of central Bognor Regis. People actually live here.

Now to a side issue of my photography and another realisation.
Using a camera it's really easy to make anywhere look like a dystopian vision of hell on earth and my first sets of pictures certainly did that.
Barbed wire, broken fences, abandoned spaces. blight and decay.
To my shame I admit it was exactly what I was trying to achieve but, not only is it unfair, it's lazy.
Finding beauty and wonder is difficult, it requires effort and understanding. It requires the ability to cast off the caustic cynicism that seems endemic in our species.
I can't see angels in the architecture yet but I'm beginning to see the places where they briefly landed.

3 comments:

Glyn said...

There's quite a lot of those little houses in Rotorua, and more in Napier and Hastings too, because those two got leveled by an earthquake in 1931.

I like the 1970 style of building next to the bus station in that photo. (Also lots of those Rotorua.) I can sort of understand why people might not like them, but compared to glass boxes they have a light, unoppressive look, let in lots of sunlight, and you can open the windows in summer.

(The link to Queensway doesn't seem to work right.)

OutaSpaceMan said...

The more I see of Art Deco building the more I fall under it's spell.
In Goring-By-Sea most of the Deco town centre has survived and retained that 'unified' look I spoke of.
I hope to post about that place next week.

I had a wander through Flickr and have seen some of the examples in N.Z.
They really are creatures that thrive in bright sunlight.

I know what you mean about the 1970's buildings and until recently I might have agreed with the nay-sayers but since I've tried to develop a more 'objective' attitude I'm beginning to see aspects of the style that I like.
I think that might be an example of irony.

Linda has told me more about the Southdowns Bus Station and how astonishing the inside of the place was.
After a post-posting sleep, my ire has abated and I realise it's silly of me to get all huffy-puffy about the people who demolished a building that I've only seen in pictures. It's loss is still a shame though and the car-park that replaced it isn't half as exciting as what went before.

Thanks for the tip on the Queensway link.
It was supposed to go to Google Street View.
But it didn't.
I'll have to get back out there with the camera when the rain stops.

Frank Key said...

"Using a camera it's really easy to make anywhere look like a dystopian vision of hell on earth and my first sets of pictures certainly did that.
Barbed wire, broken fences, abandoned spaces. blight and decay.
To my shame I admit it was exactly what I was trying to achieve but, not only is it unfair, it's lazy.
Finding beauty and wonder is difficult, it requires effort and understanding. It requires the ability to cast off the caustic cynicism that seems endemic in our species."

This is splendid, and ought to be stamped upon the forehead of every camera-clutching "artist".